I used to eat quite a lot of meat, at the least a pair occasions per day, and it took a big toll on my digestive system. Since then I’ve minimize down on my meat consumption and built-in extra vegetarian meals into my weight loss plan. One in every of my favourite vegetarian meals are tacos made with a walnut and lentil “meat.”
This meal is filled with good fat like omega-3s from the walnuts, that are additionally anti-inflammatory and nice for the mind. The walnuts and lentils present protein and fiber to maintain you happy and help in digestion.
Even in case you imagine that meat is the perfect protein, we should always all try to chop down on our consumption because of the huge quantity of CO2 the meat trade contributes to our environment. Including a couple of vegetarian meals to your meal plan every week won’t solely assist your digestive system, but additionally the atmosphere.
Walnut and Lentil Tacos
[Photo courtesy of Josh Graham]
Prep Time: quarter-hour (plus 3-12 hours if soaking walnuts)
Prepare dinner Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 4 tacos
- 2 cups walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup lentils
- 1 onion, julienned
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro for garnish
- Salsa and guacamole
- Soak the walnuts in water for 3-12 hours, altering the water each few hours.
- Add the dry lentils to a pot of boiling water. Cut back the warmth to a simmer and cook dinner till tender, round 15-20 minutes.
- Warmth 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in a pan over medium warmth. Add the sliced onions and sauté till softened.
- Whereas the onions and lentils are cooking, rinse and drain the walnuts. Add the walnuts, spices, and olive oil to a meals processor. Pulse till the combination has a consistency that resembles floor beef.
- As soon as the lentils have cooked, drain and funky.
- Rigorously peel off a couple of leaves of the cabbage. Peel them off from the underside close to the stem to maintain them intact. Wash and pat dry.
- To assemble your taco, add the lentils, onions, and walnut “meat” into your cabbage. Prime with cilantro, salsa, and guacamole.
Observe: Leftovers preserve properly in an hermetic container within the fridge and are a scrumptious meat different for salads.
Want extra vegetarian taco inspiration?
Candy Potato Tacos